IPL 2017 News Ben Stokes tipped to land ‘big bucks’ deal by Yuvraj Singh. England’s Ben Stokes could earn “millions” when he enters the Vivo Indian Premier League 2017 auction, says India batsman Yuvraj Singh.
The auction for the 20-over franchise competition is scheduled to be held in Bangalore, India in late February.
When asked how much Stokes was worth, Yuvraj, who went for a record £1.6m in 2015, said: “A couple of million.
“He’s a quality hitter, fast bowler and fielder. He’ll definitely get the big bucks. He brings a lot to the table.”
Yuvraj, 35, has lined up against Stokes, 25, in the recent one-day and Twenty20 series between India and England, and has enjoyed watching England’s talisman close up.
“I always see Ben and Virat [Kohli] having a go at each other,” Yuvraj told BBC Sport. “It’s great for cricket to have passion.
“We always have banter with the English. My old battles were with Andrew Flintoff.”
This year the IPL will run from 5 April to 21 May, with England’s players available for much more of the tournament than usual because of the lack of a Test match in May.
This availability, coupled with eye-catching performances in limited-overs cricket, mean England’s players could be highly sought.
Sam Billings and Jos Buttler are already signed to teams, but the likes of Stokes, Chris Woakes, Jason Roy, Chris Jordan, Tymal Mills and Alex Hales could attract interest.
“If these guys come and play the IPL, their skills will improve,” Yuvraj added. “The more they play in different conditions, the better they will become.”
Stokes much more than a batsman or bowler
Statistical insight provided by cricket data analytics company Cricviz
- Ben Stokes had the highest fielding impact of any player in the 2016 World T20.
- Across his T20 international career, Jason Roy has a strike-rate (runs per 100 balls) of 132 in the Powerplay.
- In T20 internationals, Alex Hales’ strike-rate in the Powerplay is 130, in the middle overs it is 135 and in the death overs it is 156.
- Tymal Mills has taken 3-33 from 28 slower balls in his T20 international career.
- Since the start of 2016, Chris Jordan is England’s leading wicket-taker in T20 internationals with 17.
- Across the past two seasons in Australia’s Big Bash, only Chris Lynn and Aaron Finch have scored more runs than Kevin Pietersen.